Archive messages with a third party in the Zoom app
As an alternative message archiving platform, Zoom integrates with Global Relay and Smarsh to give you a streamlined experience. These providers allow you to store the messages, files, and other information that you send through Zoom chat. Messages and files can either be stored with the third party, or both the third party and Zoom can be used to store messages and files. Currently, this integration does not support chat messages in meetings.
After configuring Zoom, the message and file attachments will be sent to Global Relay or Smarsh once per day once configured. To use third-party storage, you must enable third-party storage for your Zoom account as a whole and not just for individual groups or users.
Requirements for setting up message archiving with a third-party archiving service
- Global Relay: Global Relay representatives or Global Relay Support can provide you with the SMTP delivery address.
- Smarsh: A channel token authorized by the channel
- Account ownership or administrator rights are required
- You must disable chat encryption (otherwise you will not be able to read messages)
It’s important that you contact your third-party provider and find out what steps need to be taken to allow Zoom message archiving to be configured on their platform.
How to enable third-party message archiving
After you’ve enabled third-party archiving for all of your accounts, you can enable it for individual IM groups by returning to the account level.
- As a Zoom admin, you can edit account settings by logging into the Zoom web portal.
- Click Account Management in the navigation menu, and then click Account Settings in the Account Management section.
- The Zoom Chat tab will appear when you click on it.
Please note that starting June 1st, 2022, our engineering team will start the migration process and enable the new admin experience for all accounts that have not yet been migrated. There will be no downtime during the migration process, but it is possible that your account will be activated in a different time frame than the day the new admin experience is activated. When it’s complete, your account holder will receive an email letting them know it’s complete. If your account has not yet been activated with the new admin experience, please read the article about the old admin experience.
- To enable or disable third-party archiving, you must click the toggle switch under Storage.
- You may be prompted to confirm the change by clicking Enable or Disable in the dialog box that appears.
- Select your third party from the drop-down list, and then enter the configuration settings for your third party.
- Global relay
- SMTP Delivery Address: Your Global Relay representative or a Global Relay Customer Service Representative can provide you with your SMTP delivery address.
- Username: The username you received from Global Relay must be entered here.
- Password: Passwords for Global Relay should be entered here.
- Authorized channel token:
- If you have an Authorized Channel Token, please enter it here.
- Global relay
- Click on “Save”.
Note: As a first step, you need to set up third-party archiving in your account’s IM settings. You will be prompted to enable and configure the feature in IM Settings if you have not configured it at the account level. The option to archive Zoom chat messages to a third party can later be turned off at the account level if only a few groups require it.
- When you log in to the Zoom web portal, you are automatically assigned the right to edit groups as an administrator.
- Select User Management from the navigation menu, then click Groups from the drop-down menu.
- In the list of groups, click the name of the group that applies to your situation.
- You can access Zoom Chat by clicking on the tab.
Important: Migration and activation of the new admin experience will begin on June 1st, 2022 when our engineering team will begin migrating all accounts to the new admin experience. There will be no downtime during the migration process, however the day that the new admin experience will be available to you will vary. Once the process is complete, an email will be sent to your account holder to let them know. If you haven’t been able to use the new admin experience for your account yet, please read the article about the old admin experience.
- Depending on whether you want to enable or disable third-party archiving under Storage, you can click the toggle next to it.
|account level||group level|
|Account setting locked||set status||set status||Allow group setting|
|NO||Disabled person||Activated deactivated||Yes|
|Yes||Disabled person||Disabled person||NO|