How to transfer Zoom meetings between devices
The ability to seamlessly stream meetings and webinars between devices comes in handy when you’re busy and need to join a meeting or webinar on another device and can’t join a meeting or webinar on your current device. No matter what busy schedule you have at work or a busy schedule outside of work, this feature gives you the flexibility to attend meetings and webinars as needed, so you can host a meeting when you go to walk the dogs to walk or switch between devices when the battery is low. Or if you arrive at work and need some additional benefits of the desktop client, this feature gives you the benefit of taking advantage of some unique features.
- The following settings and data cannot be transferred between devices when broadcasting a meeting or webinar. These settings and data include sent chat messages, hand raised status, any active local recordings, closed captions, submitted questions and answers, and viewing the full transcript in addition to chat messages and hand raised status. There are two ways to do this: by rejoining after leaving or disconnecting a session, and by rejoining the session.
- Only the host of a webinar and the webinar co-host can stream the webinar between devices.
- Desktop client for Zoom
- For Windows you need version 5.7.6 or higher
- A macOS version of 5.7.6 or higher is required
- Linux: 5.7.6 or higher version
- A mobile app is available for Zoom
- A version of Android 5.7.6 or later is required
- iOS version must be 5.7.6 or higher to run
- You must be signed in to the same account on both devices
Enable broadcasting of meetings and webinars for your account
Follow these steps to enable or disable broadcasting of meetings and webinars for all users within the account:
- To edit account settings, you must log in to the Zoom web portal as an administrator.
- You can find Account Management and Account Settings in the navigation menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click the Meetings tab on the left side of the screen.
- Under the In Meeting (Basic) section, you’ll find a toggle that lets you enable or disable users from moving meetings between devices.
- It is important to verify that the change has been made by clicking Enable or Disable when a confirmation message appears.
Note: Account settings are not available for basic accounts, however, account settings are already enabled by default so you can access this feature in this case.
Broadcast a meeting or webinar from another device
The option to switch meetings to another device is available if you’re already registered to attend a meeting or webinar on a device. If you’re signed in on another device, you’ll see the list of upcoming meetings on that device.
Note: The webinar host and co-host are the only ones who can stream a webinar between devices.
window | macOS
- You will need to open Zoom’s desktop client and sign in there.
- You can view all upcoming meetings and webinars by navigating to the Home tab at the top of the screen.
The Start/Join button in the session listed as In Progress changes to a Switch button.
- To join the meeting or webinar, click the Switch button at the bottom of the screen. You will be automatically disconnected from the meeting if you successfully joined the meeting from the desktop client and prompted to reconnect.
Android | iOS
- Sign in to the Zoom mobile app by opening the app on your smartphone.
- Go to the “Meet & Chat” tab and click on it.
- You can join a session listed as “In progress” using your mobile device by tapping the “Switch” button next to the session listed as “In progress”. You will be automatically prompted to disconnect the other device connected to the meeting if you have successfully joined from the mobile app.