Remotely upgrade Zoom Room devices with ZDM
There are a number of Zoom applications, operating systems and firmware versions that you can update through the Zoom Device Management portal if they are registered with Zoom Device Management (ZDM). If you have a device that supports downgrading the Zoom app, you can do the same.
Note: For more information on setting up Zoom Rooms and Zoom Phone Appliances, see these supported processes.
This article covers:
- How to upgrade/downgrade the Zoom app using ZDM
- Update the Zoom app through room management
- Update the Zoom app through device management
- Downgrade Room Management’s Zoom app
- Downgrade the Zoom app through device management
- How do I update ZDM’s operating system/firmware?
- Update the operating system/firmware via device management
- How long does the update take?
Requirements for upgrading devices with ZDM
- Ownership or administrative rights for the account
- ZDM enabled devices
- Zoom Room for Windows (registered)
- Zoom Room for MacOS (registered)
- Apple Business Manager registered MacOS Zoom Room
- Zoom Room Controller for iPad:
- If enrolled in Apple Business Manager, the device will automatically switch to “Supervised Mode”.
- The App Store auto-update feature is disabled
- The device is not protected by a passcode
- A device running iOS 10.2 or earlier must have an MDM solution with Apple DEP installed.
- The Windows operating system can also be updated.
How to upgrade/downgrade the Zoom app using ZDM
Update the Zoom app through room management
It is possible to downgrade Room Management’s Zoom app by following these instructions for more information.
Update the Zoom app through device management
- You can enable the Auto update app setting in the Zoom app to automate updating your Zoom app on your device.
- As part of the Zoom Room device update process, you can choose between the latest version, the previous version, and the 2nd previous version.
- The Zoom Room app must be updated to a 64-bit version when installed on Windows operating systems to take advantage of this new whiteboard feature.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- You can find the Device Management option in the navigation menu, followed by the Device List option.
- On the left side of the screen you will find a tab called Devices.
- From the All Managed Devices list, select All Managed Devices, then click Registered with ZDM and complete the following steps:
Select the device you want to update the app on if you want to update the app on more than one device:
- Select the device you want to use.
- If you click the up arrow, you can update your app version.
- The Zoom Room application can be updated by clicking the drop-down arrow in the version notes box at the bottom left of the box and then selecting the version you want to update in the Zoom Room application.
- Refresh by clicking the button.
Select the required devices if you want to update the app on more than one device:
- The devices you want to select should be selected.
- To upgrade, click the Upgrade button at the top right of the screen.
- Choose an application.
- Select the Zoom Room application version you want to update from the drop-down menu in the Update App pop-up dialog.
- You will see the release notes for that device type when you update the app on the same device type.
- The upgrade button will appear.
Upgrading your 32-bit Zoom Room client to 64-bit is as easy as:
- Decide which device you want to use.
- You can update the app by clicking on the three dots on the far right of the device name.
- In the Advanced dialog box, select Upgrade 64-bit Client.
- Just click the Upgrade button.
Downgrade Room Management’s Zoom app
For more information on downgrading Zoom from room management, you can follow these instructions.
Downgrade the Zoom app through device management
Currently, Zoom Room Controllers and Android devices cannot downgrade the Zoom app due to technical limitations.
- You can access the Zoom web portal by logging into your account.
- To view the list of devices, click Device Management in the navigation menu.
- On the Devices tab, click the Devices button.
- To downgrade the Zoom app, identify the Zoom Room computer.
- In the ellipse on the far right of the device, select Downgrade app.
- In the pop-up Downgrade dialog, select the version of Zoom Room you want to downgrade.
- Select downgrade.
How do I update ZDM’s operating system/firmware?
Update the operating system/firmware via device management
- You can access the Zoom web portal by logging in.
- You can access the device list by clicking Device Management in the navigation menu.
- To update the operating system or firmware on a single device, select the device you want to update:
- Select Update OS from the ellipse on the far right of the device.
- Select the required devices if you want to update the operating system/firmware on more than one:
- You can upgrade your operating system by clicking Upgrade and then Platform OS.
- To confirm the upgrade, click Upgrade in the pop-up window.
Using the Automatically update OS/Firmware setting automates the OS/Firmware update process.
How long does the update take?
For the update to take effect, your Zoom Room must be online, signed in, and not currently in a meeting.
|zoom||room app*||OS/Firmware update|
|Windows||Up to 1 hour (up to 15 minutes to download the app, then installation begins)||Unsupported|
|macOS||Up to 1 hour (up to 15 minutes to download the app, then installation begins)||Instant download, but requires a user to confirm installation and restart the device|
|Android||Up to 1 hour to download and install||Download immediately and then install|
|iOS||Immediate download from the App Store and subsequent installation||Instant download, installation and device reboot|