Set up and use the call pickup code in the Zoom app
It’s easy for phone users to pick up calls that are currently waiting in a call queue by using a call pickup code. To receive queue notifications and pick up calls from the queue after hours, call queue members can use the pickup code if they have disabled call queue notifications. Any phone user who is in the same area as the call queue can also pick up the call using the pickup code.
For example, in a large retail environment where a large number of employees are always busy, there is a greater likelihood that they will not always be close to a phone, making it more convenient to have them answer calls in the queue when needed rather than to wait before.
In order for an admin to enable the feature, they must generate a unique call queue pickup code so they can pick up the call. As part of the call queue profile, you have the ability to customize this code.
This article covers:
- How to activate a call queue pickup code (administrators)
- How to use a call queue pickup code
Prerequisites for setting up the call queue pickup code
- Accounts for professionals, companies or students
- Ownership or administrative rights for the account
Requirements for using the call queue pickup code
- Business, Education, or Pro accounts
- License for Zoom Phone
- There must be a phone user present at the same location where the call queue is located
- Zoom desktop client version 5.6.0 or higher is required for Windows, macOS or Linux
- For Android or iOS you need the Zoom mobile app version 5.6.0 or higher on your smartphone or tablet
How to enable call queue pickup code (admins)
The call queue can be enabled and customized by the administrator
- You need to log in to the Zoom web portal.
- Select Phone System Management from the navigation menu, then select Call Queues from the drop-down menu.
- You can activate a pickup code for the call queue you want to activate by clicking on the queue name.
- On the Policy tab you will find a number of options.
- Please ensure that the call queue pickup code toggle is enabled before proceeding.
Zoom generates a unique pickup code for the call queue.
- On the Profile tab you will find a number of options.
- The pickup code can be viewed or edited by clicking the view or edit button next to it.
- (Optional) You can change the code by entering a new 4-digit code and clicking Save.
- These requirements must be met by the pickup.
- A four-digit number
- There can be no zero (0) at the beginning
- Other call queues on the site cannot use this queue.
- Numbers like 1111 or 1234 cannot be repeated or consecutive.
How to use call queue pickup code
Even if you’ve opted out of queue notifications or are answering calls outside of your business hours, you can call a pickup code to pick up calls in the queue. Contact your administrator if you don’t know a call queue’s pickup code.
- Sign in to Zoom on your desktop or mobile device.
- It is very important that you have a pickup code for an incoming caller waiting in your call queue with the pickup code you have.
- The Phone tab can be accessed by clicking or tapping on it.
- To reach the call queue pickup code, dial and call the number preceded by *, e.g. e.g. *991212.
- Please ensure that you do not set your call queue number containing the pickup code as the direct number of your caller ID. The pick-up code cannot then be called up.
- If a call is currently on hold, there will be an automatic answer.
- If there is no one in the queue, you will hear an audio prompt stating that no one is waiting to connect with you, and the call will automatically end when no one is waiting to connect with you.
- The call queue must be in the same location as you.