Set up call delegation in the Zoom app
The use of call delegation (aka the appearance of a shared line) can be viewed as an easy way for users to use their phones to delegate other people to take their calls on their behalf. For example, it is possible for executives to grant their assistants the privilege to make and receive calls on their behalf, allowing the assistants to act on the executive’s behalf. Check out our comparison of other routing methods if you’re unsure whether or not call delegation is the best option for your use case.
This article uses the following terms to describe what it is about:
- It is the delegator who decides whether to allow other phone users or common area phones to use the delegator’s phone privileges. Up to 32 delegates can be delegated to each delegate.
- Delegates are phone users who make and receive calls on behalf of their delegates. The maximum number of delegates per delegate is 32.
- They own the delegator’s shared lines, but their delegates can use them.
After setting up call delegation, you can use the following features:
- In other words, the delegate can make and receive calls on the delegate’s behalf using the delegator’s direct phone numbers.
- The shared lines can be viewed by both the delegate and the delegate.
- Calls can be held and transferred between the delegate and the delegating party.
A desk phone or a Zoom desktop client can be used to delegate calls after setup.
- On September 28, 2019, a new feature called Call Delegation was released. You can upgrade your call delegation version if you are using an older version.
- When you set up or change call delegation settings for deployed desk phones, they restart multiple times.
Prerequisites for setting up call delegation (shared line display)
- Zoom Phone license and Calling Plan are required for Delegates and Delegates
- Delegation policy settings are enabled
Multiple call delegation facilities or shared line groups can be assigned to a single call delegate phone user.
How to assign a delegate
You can delegate the responsibility of making and receiving phone calls on your behalf to another user by following these steps. Administrators can also assign delegates to phone users by following these steps.
- You must register for the Zoom web portal.
- Follow one of these options to navigate the phone settings page, depending on whether you’re a phone user or admin:
- Phone User:
- To access the Settings tab, click Phone in the navigation menu.
- Admin: Select Users & Rooms from the navigation menu. The User Settings tab is displayed when you click a phone user’s display name.
- Delegation and assistants can be set or added by clicking Set.
Note: You can disable the associated phone user’s delegation setting by clicking the lock button if you are an administrator. If the admin tries to suspend a user, there is a pending invitation for the user that must be accepted or you must accept it yourself.
- To assign a user phone or common area phone as a proxy, select User or common area phone.
Note: Delegation requests must be accepted by the delegate.
- You can change permissions by checking the boxes:
- Note: Phone users cannot change delegation settings if an administrator has locked them out.
- delegated privileges
- Places Calls: Delegates can use any of your direct phone numbers to place calls on your behalf.
- Answering calls: You can delegate responsibility for answering calls to the delegate. Call notifications are sent when there are incoming calls to your direct phone numbers.
- Retrieve held calls:
- When a call is on hold and the delegate is prompted to accept, you can transfer the call to the delegate.
- Privacy: Allow the delegate to block a call in privacy mode by checking the box.
- delegated privileges
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to add more delegates.
How to accept a delegation request and view the delegators
If someone has asked you as a delegate to follow in their footsteps and make and receive calls on their behalf, you must accept their request before you can assist them. It is also possible to view the delegation responsibilities that you have accepted on behalf of the delegators by following these steps.
- The delegation setup is enforced for all administrators who assign delegates for phone users, which means that the delegate does not have to accept a delegation request if he/she is an administrator.
- When the delegate views their phone settings on the web portal, they will be notified of a delegation request that they must accept. Pending labels are displayed until the delegate accepts the request. The Delegate section displays the delegate’s name and extension after the request is accepted.
- Once you assign a Zoom Phone as a delegate, you must log into the Zoom Phone web portal and go to the Users and Rooms page to let the Zoom Phone admin know what has been done.
- Sign in to your account via the Zoom web portal.
- From the navigation menu on the left, select Phone.
- Click the Settings button on the left side of the screen.
- You can accept a delegation request at any time by clicking the Accept option in the Assistant for section.
Your delegate will be displayed along with the privileges granted to you and the delegate assigned to you.
- Delete your delegate assignment by contacting the delegator.
- Make Calls: You can make calls on their behalf using the delegator’s direct phone number.
- Answer calls: Incoming calls can be answered directly by the delegator.
- Retrieve held calls: If you put the call on hold and inform the delegator to answer the call, you can transfer the call to the delegator.
How to customize line keys
There are a number of options for delegates or delegates with a desk phone that has a range of customizable line keys.
How to view all delegators and delegates in the account (admin)
A user who has been delegated calling privileges and the shared lines to which the delegated privileges are assigned can be viewed in the account owner or administrator area of the account.
- Sign in to your account via the Zoom web portal.
- Select Phone System Management from the navigation bar menu, and then click Shared Lines from the submenu.
- To change the appearance of shared lines, click the Appearance tab.
This is a list of all delegators and delegates and their privileges assigned to them in the organization.
- Click Details to view these call delegation settings:
- Website (only visible if you have multiple websites):
- It is the site associated with the delegator.
- extension number:
- A number that identifies the delegate.
- Assign delegation rights to: Specify which phone user or phone you want to add as a delegate by clicking Add and selecting common area user or phone and then clicking Save. To remove a delegate, click the close button.
- Delegation Permissions: The delegation permissions can be changed using the checkboxes.
- Make calls: In addition, the delegate has access to the direct phone number of the delegator and can make calls on behalf of the delegator.
- Answer calls: Delegates can answer calls on behalf of their delegates.
- Transferring held calls: In order to transfer a call from one party to another, the delegator and delegates must put the call on hold and inform the other party that the call is on hold.
- Privacy: Privacy mode should be enabled.
Supervised: If call supervision is configured for this call delegation, the name of the supervision group is displayed. The call monitoring settings can be edited by clicking on the group name.
Read it too –
frequently asked Questions
Where is the phone system administration in Zoom? To access your Zoom account, you must log in through the Zoom web portal.
Click the Phone System Management menu on the navigation bar, then click Users & Rooms at the bottom.
How do I remove a delegate from Zoom?
At the bottom of the page you will find a section titled Schedule Privileges that you need to scroll down to.
To remove someone as a delegate from your team, please click the “X” icon next to their name to remove them as a delegate. …
The final step in removing the scheduling rights on the computer is to click the “Yes” button in the window that appears after clicking the “Confirmation” button.
How do I assign a number to Zoom? Click the Phone System Management button on the left side of the navigation bar and then click click on phone numbers on the right. Click the Unassigned tab to view the list. If you want to assign a phone number to someone else, click
the Assign To button next to the number.
How do I schedule a Zoom meeting with a dial-in number? To access the Meetings menu, click the Meetings icon in the navigation bar. The ellipse icon At can be the upper right corner of the screen clicked
if you are interested in setting up a private audio conference. You can proceed by clicking the Schedule button once you have entered the required information. In addition to configuring the dial-in numbers and access codes for your PAC, you can also change other data on your PAC.What is phone contact matching in Zoo?
With the Zoom mobile app, you can view all contacts on your phone. It is possible to invite them to join Zoom, or you can contact them directly through Zoom Phone by inviting them to join Zoom. This function can also be used to assign telephone contacts to the same phone number.