Using chat announcements in the Zoom app
Users can use chat announcements to send one-way announcements to all other users within the same account. It is possible for account owners and admins to add up to 50 users who can send announcements from the account.
In this article we will discuss the following topics:
- Chat Announcement Restrictions
- How to enable chat announcements
- How to use chat announcements
Requirements for using an announcement channel
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 4.6.0 (13610.1201) or higher
- macOS: 4.6.0 (13610.1201) or higher
- Linux: 3.5.330166.1202 or higher
- Mobile Zoom app
- Android: 4.6.0 (13605.1201) or higher
- iOS: 4.6.0 (13605.1201) or later
Chat Announcement Restrictions
There are a number of chat features that work with chat announcements, including:
- You can post images, GIFs, files, and code snippets as announcements
- An announcement can be edited or deleted at any time (this function is only available to the user who posted the announcement).
- You can mark announcements with a star by clicking on them
- Assign an unread status to an announcement
- Announcement notification settings can be customized to your liking
- Sharing an announcement with another user or channel is as simple as copying and pasting the announcement
Chat announcements do not work with the following chat features:
- Comment on an announcement by adding a reply or reaction (emoji).
Note: A user who posts an announcement is also included in this category. In other words, the announcement poster cannot respond to it.
Note: As an alternative to announcements, channels can also be created that have restricted posting permissions.
How to enable chat announcements
Account owners or admins of a chat account must enable chat announcements in the account portal and select users who can make announcements in chat. There is a limit of 50 users who can make announcements and you can add as many as you like.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Select Account Management from the navigation menu and then IM Management from the drop-down list.
- You can access IM settings by clicking on the tab.
- The Visibility section can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- To enable announcements, click the toggle next to the Announcements section.
- If you want to add users who can post announcements, you can click the plus sign (+).
- You can search for users by entering their names or email addresses and then selecting the user you want.
- Add the item by clicking the Add button.
As part of the process, Zoom will create a channel called Announcements. You can only post announcements once you have added the users to your account. Users who do not have access to this channel cannot post there.
How to use chat announcements
Note: If you plan to post announcements, make sure the account owner or admin has given you permission to do so before you begin.
window | macOS | Linux
- Open the Zoom desktop client on your computer and sign in.
- Click the Chat tab at the top of the page.
- Select the announcement channel from the channel list.
- To send an announcement to all users, you must enter an announcement and click the send icon.
Note: Announcements may also contain images, GIFs, files, code snippets, or other types of media.
android | iOS
- Sign in to the Zoom mobile app on your mobile device.
- Click on the “Meet & Chat” tab on the left side of the screen.
- Choose Announcements from the menu.
- Tap the send icon to send a message to all users by typing a message and clicking the send icon.
Note: Announcements can also be posted in the form of images, GIFs, files, or code snippets.